Initial implementation supported by implementation research
The introduction of MMS in Bangladesh follows a comprehensive systems approach and is supported by an extensive implementation research approach, which started in October 2020. Sight and Life conducted supply readiness assessment in 2015 and 2019 as well as formative research for UNICEF in 2019.
MMS is being introduced through 2 platforms:
- The Government of Bangladesh, supported by UNICEF, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and other nutrition partners take a systems approach to distribute MMS through strengthened antenatal care services in 2 districts
- The Social Marketing Company, with the support of CIFF, and other nutrition partners, take a market-based approach making MMS available through a nationwide network of pharmacies.
Locally manufactured UNIMMAP-MMS, called ‘Full Care’ is available since July 2021. The Government has endorsed or included MMS in its:
- National Strategy on Prevention and Control of Micronutrient Deficiencies 2015-2024
- Second National Plan of Action for Nutrition 2016-2025
- National Strategy for Adolescent Health 2017-2030
- Operational Plan of National Nutrition Services, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare through 2023
- Regions (Provinces/Districts): 2 districts
- Start Date: 2015
- End Date: ongoing